Just found out that this is called a “meme” (rhymes with “theme”). What’s a meme? I asked the same question – according to Chrisg.com – it’s what you call all those internet quizzes and surveys that I usually see on Facebook. I decided to include this one that I got from a blog – StuffParentsNeed.com – since it is Christmas season and I love it!
This year has been a bit different with the birth of our new baby but I’m sure I’m going to get right into the spirit when my sister, brother-in-law and brother arrive in a few days.
So, I’d love to see your answers too – feel free to answer the questions in a comment or on your own blog and leave a link!
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? HOT CHOCOLATE! Every year I try to pretend that I like Egg Nog only to not be able to finish a mug. But I love all things chocolate!
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Both! When I was a girl, my parents would leave the big things unwrapped but wrap some small ones probably so we had something to open. Have no idea how we’ll do it when Isaiah is older… should talk to Greg about that!
3. Colored or white lights on tree/house? White. I do like the colored ones but have always chosen white for my tree and house.
4. Do you hang mistletoe? No
5. When do you put your decorations up? Soon after Thanksgiving. Right now we don’t have many decorations – hardly any – but I hope to add some every year. All my decorations are still back in the States slowly coming over in the extra space of friends and family who come to visit us.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish? Karbonader – Norwegian meatballs we grew up eating on Christmas Eve at my house. Yum!
7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? We had a tradition of all gathering around the piano to sing Christmas carols on Christmas Eve. My sister and I would start preparing weeks ahead of time by dividing up the carols concerning who would accompany the singing on piano. For most of the songs, we had our favorites and would just agree on who played it best, but for a couple of them we both wanted to play. So then we would practice until try-out time. My mom would judge who played the song the best and they would win. It was probably the best piano practice we got all year!
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? Actually discovered my parents putting together Easter baskets one night after we were supposed to be in bed. I was under 10, probably 7 or 8 years old. I put 2 and 2 together and figured if the Easter bunny was really mom and dad, Santa and the Tooth Fairy must be the same. I continued to play along for my little sister for a while. Not sure when she realized it, but then we had a much younger brother (11 years younger than me) so Santa continued to come to our house for a long time!
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? As kids, we opened all our gifts from the family on Christmas Eve. As a married person, we’ve had different Christmas’ each year, so we don’t have a set tradition yet.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? With ornaments from my childhood and special places we’ve traveled as a couple.
11. Snow! Love it or dread it? LOVE IT! But I’ve always lived in the South where once or twice a year was a big deal.
12. Do you remember your favorite gift? I can’t really think of a favorite gift. As a child, I was so excited about my Barbie RV. As an adult, my husband gave me a beautiful tennis bracelet on our honeymoon – that’s a favorite!
13. What’s the most important thing about the holidays for you? Spending time with friends and family and just celebrating God’s gift of Jesus and another year to live for Him.
14. What is your favorite holiday tradition? I used to love our traditional Christmas Eve as a child – we did the same things in the same order and ate the same food every year. But as an adult, I’ve come to embrace new things. I do still love Christmas cookies – especially the Norwegian family recipes since we rarely make those cookies any other time.
15. What tops your tree? A star
16. Which do you prefer – giving or receiving? I love to give gifts – especially when they are special to the person.
17. Candy canes: Yuck or Yum? Yuck. Can’t seem to eat a whole one.
18. Favorite Christmas show? It’s a Wonderful Life – I cry at the end every year!
19. What is your favorite Christmas song? Carol of the Bells. My high school’s elite choir ensemble would perform it every year at their Christmas concert. There’s nothing better! Wish I had it on cd!